ICC Certification - Recertification - Education
- ICC Learning Center
- ICC Preferred Provider Training
- ICC Assessment Center (Certification)
- ICC Certification Renewals
- ICC Combination Certification Application (required for Permit Specialist Certification)
Benefits of Obtaining Certification
- Verification of personal and professional accomplishment.
- Validation of technical expertise.
- Recognition on a national level.
- Increase in potential career opportunities.
- Expanded knowledge.
- Confirmed commitment to protect the public health, safety, and welfare.
- Commitment to raising the awareness of the Permit Technician profession.
ICC is 100 % Committed to Building Safety
Demonstrate professionalism and commitment to quality - Get 100% of your technical staff certified by ICC. Click here for details
- 1 examination
- Open book
- 2 hour limit
- 60 multiple choice question.
General Administration—23 questions, 39%
Legal Aspects—13 questions, 22%
Plans & Documents—15 questions, 25%
Zoning & Site Development—9 questions, 14%
- 2015 Int'l Building Code (Chapters 1-3, 6, 12)
- 2015 Int'l Zoning Code
- 2002 Legal Aspects of Code Administration
- Basic Code Enforcement, Workbook Edition (copyright 2008 or newer)
The reference books are available for purchase through ICC, WABO Bookstore, or WSAPT lending library. You may also check your local library reference section, but be sure to look at the code book with the year as stated above.
NOTE: As of July 2017, any bound reference book may be used.
Current examination cost: Exam costs are subject to change, visit the ICC Assessment Center for up-to-date information (link above).
Keeping Your Certification Current
In order to keep your certification current, you will need to renew it every three years. Certifications must be renewed on or before the expiration date to qualify. A few months prior to the renewal, you will be sent a notice along with a renewal application. If for any reason you do not receive this notice, you may obtain an application from the ICC website. The renewal application also comes with an affidavit for CEU credits. You must have at least 1.5 CEU credits per 3 year period to review your Permit Technician certification. If you have multiple certification and they are all due on the same date as your Permit Technician certification, you must include enough CEU credits for each type of certification renewal. Check the ICC website for the most current information on CEU credit requirements for renewal as well as current renewal costs.
Are you renewing your certification in the next year? ICC has changed the CEU allowance for working in a jurisdiction to include requiring formal in-house training in order to claim those CEUs. We have asked for clarification of what "formal" means and will share that information when we receive it. Click here for the CEU requirements and list of available CEUs.
A Permit Tech’s Advice on the Exam
The exam was designed to be “self-study.” This is something you can study for and achieve without a structured class. Since the exam is open book, just learn where and how to find the information, and you will do fine. Go with the answer that is most correct. The answers may be tweaked to be almost right, except for a word or two. If the answer says “may require” and the code says “shall require,” whichever best fits “shall” would be correct. The codes were written such that people shall comply with the code
Good luck on the test!